So I've have been reading this book called "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio and I am really enjoying it. Throughout the book I've noticed themes and lessons of the book. One theme that has really caught my eye is the theme of respecting yourself for who you are and not for whom people say or think you are.
The main character August (Auggie) Pullman has a deformity that makes himself conscious. At first Auggie thought of himself as a freak. I noticed that this was going to be one of the many conflicts in this book. I also noticed that this was one of the steps Auggie had to take in order to reach the author's goal of him respecting and loving him. "If I found a magic lamp and I could have one wish, I would wish that I had a normal face that no one ever noticed at all." This quote shows him putting himself down. He wanted to be like everyone else, he wanted to be ordinary. I think that this was one aspect of the book that makes it more interesting; I viewed this point of the book as the starting point of his journey.
Another part of the book that I thought showed his progress s when he meets Jack Will and Summer. He had made friends and thought that he could be himself around them. "I sat with him the first day b because I felt sorry for him... so I went over and sat with him. Not a biggie. I wish people will stop trying to make it into something major. He's just a kid. I keep sitting down with him because he is fun" at this part of the book I noticed that this is another step. His second friend, Summer actually said this. At this point of the book I felt that he was starting to have more self-confidence. I think he felt as if there was a possibility that more kids would start seeing him this way. It boosted his confidence and this specific part made me wonder if this will start to progress as he becomes more aware of what people think.
The book "Wonder" is a great book so far. I will continue to read it and find out more themes from the book. So far I feel that valuing and loving yourself is a big theme in the book as well as having self-confidence.
Dear Nyche,
ReplyDeleteI love the theme that you noticed and picked out from the book. I've been wanting to read this book for awhile and you just made me want to read it even more. I liked how you showed the way other characters felt on how the main character was being treated. I think you did a really good job with this book and I also liked the way you used quotes to back up your theme. Overall I think you did a SPECTACULAR JOB!
I enjoyed reading this response! i liked how you showed the themes then elaborated on them in your paragraphs. nice job!
ReplyDeleteThe quotes of your response were really touching and strong. I feel that you did an amazing job. Keep on reading and finish it so I can read it! It sounds like a touching book.
ReplyDeletereally good i like how you explained about the book
ReplyDelete